Beginning in the new year, owners of parking structures in New York City will be required to hire a licensed NYS engineer to inspect each structure at least once every six years. Per the DOB, the inspection must cover:
• buildings, or portions of a building, used for parking or storing motor vehicles, including space inside or under a building
• open parking garages and enclosed parking garages as defined in the NYC Building Code.
Exceptions to this requirement include:
• autobody and automotive repair shops, automotive showrooms, and automotive service stations
• garages with occupancy of fewer than three cars
• unenclosed, unattached outdoor parking lots
• private garages serving one- and two-family homes.
The first inspection cycle is proposed to last January 1st 2022 until December 31st 2023, and will focus on specific structures located in Community Districts 1-7 in Manhattan. To find out what Community District your properties are in, click here.
Find the original Service Update here.