Conversano Associates, Inc

"Helping to build NYC"



  1. What work requires a permit?

    Any work deemed "ordinary repair" does NOT require a permit. Ordinary repairy is defined as "repairs to assets caused by day-to-day wear and tear that are required to maintain the asset's functionality."

  2. How long does it take to get a permit?

    The time it takes to get a permit depends on the type of permit, the location of the permit, and many other factors. It can take anywhere from 1 day to 6 months to recieve it. The fastest permit type is Professional Certification, however the audit review can potentially stop a job in the middle.

  3. What is the difference between an application approval and a work permit?

    An application approval is when the DOB deems content of the work complies with the building codes. The work permit comes after, when the contractor submits his information to the DOB and work can begin. 

  4. What types of applications are there?

    The Alt 1 is when there must be a change to use, egress, or occupancy that causes the Certificate of Occupancy of the building to change.

    The most common type of permit is the Alt 2, Directive 14. It is for office or apartment renovations requiring no change to use, egress, or occupancy. 

    The Alt 3 is for construction equipment, sidewalk fences and bridges/sheds, and shoots.

    A New Building (NB) permit is for work that significantly effects an existing building or for the erection of a new building.

    A Public Assembly, aka Place of Assembly (PA), is any place that has an occupancy of more than 75 people in one room (restaurant, theater, conference room, etc) or more than 200 people outside (festival, etc). 

    A Temporary PA is for short term places of assembly.

  5. When is a work permit valid? How can I get an after hours permit?

    A work permit is valid Monday - Friday, 7am- 6pm.

    To get an after hours permit, you must submit a request four days in advance of the first date of variance.

  6. When do my permits expire?

    Permits expire on the date of the contractor's earliest expiring insurance certificate. 

  7. How long does it take to obtain a sign-off?

    The amount of time it takes to get a sign-off depends on your work type and borough. 

    In Queens, a sign-off generally takes at least four weeks to obtain. In Manhattan, it can take up to a day, but usually takes around four weeks.

Back to top


  1. What insurances are required for a permit issuance?

    Workmen's Compensation insurance and Disability insurance certificate are required for ALL types of contractors to pull a permit.

    Liability insurance is required for new buildings and major alterations.

Back to top


  1. What is the difference between an ECB Violation and a DOB Violation?

    An ECB, or Environmental Control Board, Violation is issued by the DOB when "a property does not comply with a part of the New York City Construction Codes and or Zoning Resolution.

     There are three classes of Department of Buildings’ ECB Violations: Class 1 (Immediately Hazardous), Class 2 (Major) and Class 3 (Lesser)." 

    A DOB Violation is a notice that a property is not compliant with some provisions of the law. The violation is entered against the property in the DOB's BIS, and must be corrected before a new or amended Certificate of Occupancy can be obtained.

    An ECB Violation can carry a fine or penalty, while a DOB Violation does not, but can be used as the basis for a Court summons or prosecution.

  2. How can I get my violation dismissed or cured?

    Getting a violation dismissed depends on the type of violation you have. Some of the most common violations are ECB Violations and PVT Violations.

    To cure an ECB Violation, you must correct the issue, obtain a Certificate of Correction, and follow the other instructions listed (paying fine, etc). 

    To cure a hazardous  Elevator (PVT) Violation a certified elevator inspection company must submit a letter indicating the corrections made and requestion a re-inspection be made. If the violation is non-hazardous, the certified company may perform it's own inspection and submit an Affirmation of Correction along with a copy of the violation.

    For other violation types and more detailed instructions, please see the DOB "Resolving Violations Fact Sheet" located here.

Back to top